Skip to main content

Did you end up eating all your own candy?

I always buy candy to make sure I am covered for Halloween. I moved to Allenhurst in 2006 and can count the times I actually had a trick-or-treater knock at my door, on one hand.
I live on a cul-de-sac where three families have children. Most of the time the parents take their kids trick-or-treating at local community events, especially if Halloween falls on a school night, and also because it is safer.
Knowing that in all likelihood the candy I buy will be consumed by me, I go for the good stuff. I’m a chocoholic so I always get my favorites — Butterfingers, Snickers and Tootsie Rolls.
I get the bowl ready, just in case, sit down to watch TV and wait, and wait and wait.
There was this one year when I was doing this same routine and flipped the TV to the SyFy Network. It normally does a “30 Days of Halloween” each year, and when the channel came up, one of my favorite horror classics, “Friday the 13th” was just starting.

“Oh yeah,” I thought, “I haven’t seen this movie in years.”

I grabbed a Butterfinger, wrapped myself up in a blanket and turned up the surround sound.
“I honestly can’t remember who gets killed first,” I thought to myself.
In fact it had been such a long time since I had seen the original that it was like watching the movie for the first time.
Settled in, I opened the Butterfinger and took that first bite.

CRUNCH….yum.

About 20 minutes into the movie and two more Butterfingers and a Tootsie Roll devoured, I was totally engrossed.
“Don’t hide there! That is the first place he’ll look. You better get out of there or you’re the next one…WATCH OUT he is behind…OMG…RUN…ohhhhh…he got you.”
Grabbed more candy.
“Stay away from the lake! Are you crazy? GET OUT OF THERE. What are doing there all by yourself? Stupid, yep you’re dead.”

The frenzied drama continued. The deeper into the movie I got, the more I chased my fears away with candy. I was completely consumed by the movie when suddenly there was a POUNDING on my door.

I literally screamed at the top of my lungs and jumped off the couch.

“Um, trick-or-treat?” A little voice said from outside.
“No it’s a trick,” I thought, still shaking and hiding behind my door. “I don’t get trick-or-treaters here. Never have. Who is this person?”
“Um, trick-or-treat, Ms. Patty?”
“Oh, no. they know my name,” I whispered to myself. “I’m doomed.”

I peeped through the peephole. I could see it was a neighbor’s kid. I open the door and grab the bowl.

THREE PIECES OF CANDY LEFT.

“Hey there,” I said trying to hide my previously felt horror. “Nice costume. What are doing trick-or-treating all by yourself?”
“I live next door,” my little Batman neighbor said. “You told me yesterday to come by after mom took me to trunk-and-treat so I could get some candy, before you ate it all.”
“Oh yeah, I did,” I replied. “Well here you go.”

I tossed the last three pieces of candy into his bag.
He looked up at me with a smile. “I like you, Ms. Patty. You’re totally weird.”
“Kid, you have no idea,” I thought to myself as I closed the door.

I turned off my patio light, drew the blinds and turned off most of the indoor lights. I pulled the blanket back over myself and went back to watching the movie. I felt something under the blanket.

OMG! A BUG…THERE IS A BUG ON ME….HELP.
Thankfully no. It was one last Butterfinger that got lost in the blanket’s fold.
YES! Take that Jason Voorhees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Patch Murder: Crowder up for parole review

Crowder’s file up for parole review Long County case became infamously known as Tomato Patch Murders Patty Leon After serving 14 years of a life sentence Billy Crowder has become eligible and is currently under review by the Georgia Department of Pardon and Paroles Board. Crowder garnered unwanted notoriety during his murder trial held in the summer of 1998 in Long County Superior Court. He, his family and his friend Jason Jordan stood accused of a heinous crime against his grandfather, Thurman Martin. The trial and subsequent series of events placed the small community of Ludowici on the map as events unfolded on the local news and later became a national sensation when a documentary about the family, murder and trial aired on A&E, Court TV and even 20/20. The story involved the alleged abuse of an entire family, a murder and a cover-up; all culminating to Crowder’s verdict and what even some of the jurors called a miscarriage of justice in the sentencing. Crow

Haunted locations of Liberty County, Ga.

The Frame Gallery on South Main Street The Haunting The former owner of the Frame Gallery store reported hearing noises and footsteps emanating from the second floor. Store merchandise was reportedly being moved around or placed, teetering, on the edge of display tables. A candle holder was thrown across the room, former employees saw apparitions and the activity was describes as being mischievous more so than malicious. The activities increased as the Christmas Holidays approached. This building was investigated by a paranormal group that picked up children’s voices on digital recorders as well as other unexplained voices. The investigators detected the odor of camphor in a certain room on the second floor and captured a few Orbs on camera. The History The building where the Frame Gallery was located was owned by Peyton Way and housed a drug store on the first floor and the first Hospital in Liberty County on the second. Dr. T. W. Welborn (1887-1962), who was a physician

Stories about Florida Man part 1

  There is always something funny or unusual coming out of my home state of Florida. Just the other day, a “Florida Man,” washed ashore in Flagler County after he encountered some problems while trying to, “run to the Northern US or Bermuda,” on what appeared to be a giant floating hamster wheel. The man, Reza Baluci, said he was raising money to help the homeless, and raise funds for police and fire departments and the Coast Guard. Turns out that guy has his own You Tube Page and website: https://www.runwithreza.org/ It’s a great website to visit when you want to start going down a Florida Man rabbit hole. Seems to me this guy has done more for his fellow humans, with his feet firmly panted here on Earth or in the water, than billionaire Jezz Bezos has done.  But seriously there have been some truly weird headline throughout the years, some too funny to be believable, others too horrifying, yet true. One of the first headlines I can recall was back in 2012: Florida Man chews off anoth