Skip to main content

Gardening and Goofing off

Like many folks trying to stay busy amid a pandemic, I’m trying my hand at gardening. I have zero skills when it comes to growing plants. My Dad had a green thumb, but it did not get passed down to me. I can kill a cactus, which seem to grow elsewhere with ease and no water. 

I’ve seen some social media posts where folks are showing off their ornate raised gardens, bursting at the seams with watermelons, tomatoes and zucchini. I could get jealous but instead I message them and ask how they are tending to their garden to make it so lush and bountiful.

I thought it would be easy to grow my own veggies and plants. I mean it seems simple. Buy some good soil, plant the seeds, or baby plant, add water and watch it grow.

BUT IT’S NOT THAT EASY.

You need the right type of soil for the plant. You need to feed your plants more than just water for it to grow. Some plants need 100 percent direct sunlight. Others need some shade, so they don’t burn and wither away to nothing. 

Did you know that soil has a PH balance that affects plant growth? I thought PH balance kits were just for pool water. Some plants need a low acid balanced or neutral soil while others need the soil to be more acidic.

THAT’S TOO MUCH CHEMISTRY FOR MY BRAIN!

And then there is composting!

Don’t even get me started with composting! That’s like Chemistry and Calculus combined and neither was my favorite topic in school.

Mom is always reminding me of how Dad used to go out in the backyard and pick their lettuce for their salad. At 91, she is too old now to do the gardening herself but misses having budding flowers, fruits and vegetables and colorful plants around the yard.

I know she is getting some joy in watching me plant, water and tend to our current mini garden on the front porch steps. She gives me directions on where to place certain plants and pots. Right now, we have lavender, sweet basil, and rosemary for our herb garden. We have a small tomato plant that is coming up nicely and a small Cayenne pepper plant that has tons of peppers that started sprouting out. 

Our next garden will be in the backyard where Dad had built a raised garden bed. It’s bare right now and I’ll need to tend to the soil and get the ground ready for planting for the fall.

Gardening is just one new hobby I started since March. Goofing around with my dogs and trying new recipes also takes up most of whatever spare time I have left in a day.

My talented Little Man, Johnny Crash, an American Rat Terrier mix, has always enjoyed playing fetch with Tennis Balls and playing soccer as well. We’ve spent the past few months developing his soccer skills (and mine) kicking the ball to each other back and forth.

Yes, he kicks the ball back to me!

Soccer is better played inside since we have wooden floors. The ball rolls a lot better than it does on the grass.

He usually keeps one Tennis Ball in his mouth and will slap the other ball my way with his paw. I tap the ball back at him and he stops the ball with both his paws and slaps it back. I kick the ball back a bit harder. He stops the ball and slaps it back. This goes on for quite some time. If the ball goes past him, he spits the other ball out of his mouth, slaps it my way and runs to retrieve the other ball. The longer we play the faster he gets in slapping the ball back my way.

Occasionally, my other Dog Piper, a Boxer mix, will run into play and steal the ball. At that point, all hell breaks loose as Johnny Crash chases Piper around the house. My older dog Chelsea, a Shepherd mix, just sits and watches the fiasco. 

Johnny Crash soccer is probably the only exercise I’ve been getting since COVID-19 isolation began.

Cooking has always been a hobby and passion of mine.

I got Mom hooked on watching the Cooking Channel and Food Network which has inspired new recipe ideas.

Mom is a fantastic cook, especially classic Cuban recipes. But she went absolutely crazy over my Bacon, Onion, Cheddar Macaroni-n-Cheese plate and my California inspired Fried Creamy Polenta Hash to name a few. 

These hobbies have allowed us to form a bond we haven’t had since my childhood years. It’s our, “New Normal,” as we both still deal with the loss of Dad and this dumb pandemic.

What new hobbies have you started? 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Patch Murder: Crowder up for parole review

Crowder’s file up for parole review Long County case became infamously known as Tomato Patch Murders Patty Leon After serving 14 years of a life sentence Billy Crowder has become eligible and is currently under review by the Georgia Department of Pardon and Paroles Board. Crowder garnered unwanted notoriety during his murder trial held in the summer of 1998 in Long County Superior Court. He, his family and his friend Jason Jordan stood accused of a heinous crime against his grandfather, Thurman Martin. The trial and subsequent series of events placed the small community of Ludowici on the map as events unfolded on the local news and later became a national sensation when a documentary about the family, murder and trial aired on A&E, Court TV and even 20/20. The story involved the alleged abuse of an entire family, a murder and a cover-up; all culminating to Crowder’s verdict and what even some of the jurors called a miscarriage of justice in the sentencing. Crow

Haunted locations of Liberty County, Ga.

The Frame Gallery on South Main Street The Haunting The former owner of the Frame Gallery store reported hearing noises and footsteps emanating from the second floor. Store merchandise was reportedly being moved around or placed, teetering, on the edge of display tables. A candle holder was thrown across the room, former employees saw apparitions and the activity was describes as being mischievous more so than malicious. The activities increased as the Christmas Holidays approached. This building was investigated by a paranormal group that picked up children’s voices on digital recorders as well as other unexplained voices. The investigators detected the odor of camphor in a certain room on the second floor and captured a few Orbs on camera. The History The building where the Frame Gallery was located was owned by Peyton Way and housed a drug store on the first floor and the first Hospital in Liberty County on the second. Dr. T. W. Welborn (1887-1962), who was a physician

Stories about Florida Man part 1

  There is always something funny or unusual coming out of my home state of Florida. Just the other day, a “Florida Man,” washed ashore in Flagler County after he encountered some problems while trying to, “run to the Northern US or Bermuda,” on what appeared to be a giant floating hamster wheel. The man, Reza Baluci, said he was raising money to help the homeless, and raise funds for police and fire departments and the Coast Guard. Turns out that guy has his own You Tube Page and website: https://www.runwithreza.org/ It’s a great website to visit when you want to start going down a Florida Man rabbit hole. Seems to me this guy has done more for his fellow humans, with his feet firmly panted here on Earth or in the water, than billionaire Jezz Bezos has done.  But seriously there have been some truly weird headline throughout the years, some too funny to be believable, others too horrifying, yet true. One of the first headlines I can recall was back in 2012: Florida Man chews off anoth