Skip to main content

Ya' Man!

I grew up in Miami where the influence of Caribbean cuisine could be found in many areas of the downtown, Little Haiti, Little Havana and Wynwood communities. Those pockets of immigrant settlements were the cornerstone of creole and curry, something my palate has not quite savored since I left Miami 11 years ago.

At a previous place of employment, in North Miami Beach, my co-worker and best friend was Jamaican. I loved it when he used to bring ‘extra’ leftovers to share (yes I begged him to, don’t judge me).
I can remember the one time he brought a few Jamaican sodas with him and offered one up.

“What’s this?” I asked.
“Ting,” he said in his thick Jamaican accent.
“Yeah what is this thing?” I asked again.
“Ting man, it’s called Ting,” he replied.
“This thing is called Ting, seriously?”
“Ya man,” he said before turning away obviously annoyed. “Take ya sip woman.”

To this day I’m not sure if he turned away because I had annoyed him or to secretly laugh at me knowing the drink was an acquired taste. Something like drinking a tart grapefruit with a sugary after taste, at least for me. I’m pretty sure the face I made was the kind you see when someone sucks on a lime.

“Good ya? tis tart,” he said now looking at me with a grin.
“Um dude is that curry goat you got?” I asked trying not to give him the satisfaction of knowing he got me.
“Ya man,” he replied laughing.
“Now you’re talking, I’ll swap you my Ting for some if that,” I said giving in.

His wife’s curry goat, curry chicken, ox tail, ackee and salt fish was some of the best I’ve tasted. After all they both grew up in Jamaica and had the recipes passed down from family member to family member.
It had been more than a decade since I had an authentic Jamaican curry, or jerk dish. Sure I’ve had what some folks call jerk chicken here and there but not the real deal – until last week.

I often drive along E.G. Miles and had spotted a place called Good 2 Go. For years the thought of walking in and sampling the menu had not crossed my mind, not sure why.
But there was a time I attended the free SCAD Alumni Concert that was held at Forsyth Park. Maybe about three years ago. The show’s headlining band – The Wailers.

As in Bob Marley and the Wailers; as in the same boys that have kept Marley’s Reggae brand of music alive; as in FREE SHOW with a kicking nationally known band.
Since that night the lyrics of “One Love” have been floating in my head and the desire for curry goat whetted my appetite.
That band whetted my taste buds and after a much to long delay I made my first stop at Good 2 Go. I can tell you now that it won’t be my last.

The interior walls were brightly painted in the colors of the Jamaican Flag. Several pictures of Bob Marley adorn the wall immediately activating my internal Pandora Radio and taking me right back to the concert. Now with the music setting the rhythm in my head it was time to see if the food would hit the right notes with my taste buds and tummy.

Being my first time I quickly glanced at the white erase board with the meals listed on it. They had all the classics and then some. Third down from the list was what I craved and walked up to the counter where Liz Cochen patiently waited for me to place my order.

“Curry goat,” I said adding that I wanted it served with the rice and peas and side of fried plantains.
“Small or large?” Cochen asked.
Now much like the rest of America, I too am trying to watch my waistline, which has grown substantially in the past year since an injury sidelined my physical fitness activities a bit. But come on now, an opportunity to eat curry goat, the first time in almost a decade – YES I CAVED.
“Large and thank you for pointing that out,” I said.

I sat down and within minutes my plate of goodness was placed before me.
I could smell the curry as the steam wafted its way towards me activating the salivary glands. The plantains are what we Cubans call ‘maduros,’ meaning they are fried but soft and sweet. The plantains are allowed to ripen to nearly full brown before peeling, slicing and frying them in a shallow pan with oil.
Just like my mother still makes when I go for a visit.

The curry sauce had that wondrous yellow hue and the goat was stewed the way it should be, cut into bite size chunks, bone still attached.
That signaled good times ahead and I savored sucking all the meat and juices off the bone, as lady like (picture the cookie monster eating his favorite cookie, got it…OK proceed) as possible so as to not draw too much attention to myself.
It was Jamaican perfection. I think I even saw Bob Marley’s picture nod his head in approval. Spicy but not over powering, the look of contentment must have been obvious on my face.

“First time here?” Cochen asked as she brought me a meat patty I also ordered (which was later devoured in much the same way for dinner).
“Yes,” I answered and somehow I knew she understood I would be back for more. After all they had ackee and salt fish, curry shrimp, snapper stew and the real jerk chicken yet to try.

I looked around and saw a customer reading a piece of paper, folding it back up and placing it on the counter. Curious, I stood up walked over to the counter and opened the paper. It was a list of foods.
“We cater and we deliver,” Cochen said as she handed another customer a bottle of Ting.
I smiled.

“One love, One Heart. Let’s get together and feel all right,” was all I could hear from then on.
About Good 2 Go

This Jamaican eatery has been in Hinesville for years and quickly earned rave reviews on Trip Advisor when Dwayne Smith and his wife Glennis Smith, of Jamaica and Antigua, bought the place from the previous owner.

They are reasonably priced, carry a barrage of Jamaican snacks and goodies in addition to their menu items and the folks are friendly. The atmosphere is casual and as the Jamaican’s say – irie.
They are located at 812 E.G. Miles Parkway in Hinesville and typically open from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. They accept all major credit cards. For more information call (912) 369-3933.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Patch Murder: Crowder up for parole review

Crowder’s file up for parole review Long County case became infamously known as Tomato Patch Murders Patty Leon After serving 14 years of a life sentence Billy Crowder has become eligible and is currently under review by the Georgia Department of Pardon and Paroles Board. Crowder garnered unwanted notoriety during his murder trial held in the summer of 1998 in Long County Superior Court. He, his family and his friend Jason Jordan stood accused of a heinous crime against his grandfather, Thurman Martin. The trial and subsequent series of events placed the small community of Ludowici on the map as events unfolded on the local news and later became a national sensation when a documentary about the family, murder and trial aired on A&E, Court TV and even 20/20. The story involved the alleged abuse of an entire family, a murder and a cover-up; all culminating to Crowder’s verdict and what even some of the jurors called a miscarriage of justice in the sentencing. Crow

Haunted locations of Liberty County, Ga.

The Frame Gallery on South Main Street The Haunting The former owner of the Frame Gallery store reported hearing noises and footsteps emanating from the second floor. Store merchandise was reportedly being moved around or placed, teetering, on the edge of display tables. A candle holder was thrown across the room, former employees saw apparitions and the activity was describes as being mischievous more so than malicious. The activities increased as the Christmas Holidays approached. This building was investigated by a paranormal group that picked up children’s voices on digital recorders as well as other unexplained voices. The investigators detected the odor of camphor in a certain room on the second floor and captured a few Orbs on camera. The History The building where the Frame Gallery was located was owned by Peyton Way and housed a drug store on the first floor and the first Hospital in Liberty County on the second. Dr. T. W. Welborn (1887-1962), who was a physician

Stories about Florida Man part 1

  There is always something funny or unusual coming out of my home state of Florida. Just the other day, a “Florida Man,” washed ashore in Flagler County after he encountered some problems while trying to, “run to the Northern US or Bermuda,” on what appeared to be a giant floating hamster wheel. The man, Reza Baluci, said he was raising money to help the homeless, and raise funds for police and fire departments and the Coast Guard. Turns out that guy has his own You Tube Page and website: https://www.runwithreza.org/ It’s a great website to visit when you want to start going down a Florida Man rabbit hole. Seems to me this guy has done more for his fellow humans, with his feet firmly panted here on Earth or in the water, than billionaire Jezz Bezos has done.  But seriously there have been some truly weird headline throughout the years, some too funny to be believable, others too horrifying, yet true. One of the first headlines I can recall was back in 2012: Florida Man chews off anoth