Skip to main content

Love me some sushi

I can vaguely recall the first time I went to a Japanese restaurant with a friend and they ordered sushi. It was literally eons ago. I think the only reason it vaguely stays in my head was because I decided to give some foreign a try. Unknowingly I took the chopsticks and grabbed a chunk of the pretty green paste, placed it on top of a tuna roll slice and took a bite.

“Holy crap, my tongue is on fire what is that stuff?”

“It’s called wasabi,” my friend replied. “And you only use it sparingly unless you want to burn your throat ant stomach.”
With my mouth on fire, tears streaming from my eyes and nose sniffling I thought my experimentation with sushi was over. It was, at least, for that day since my taste buds were fried.

Throughout the years, however, I have become somewhat of a sushi connoisseur in my own right. I started by dipping my toes in the shallow end of the sushi pool, eating the rolls that I considered safe at the time, like a California roll. That is basically rice, imitation crab meat, avocado held together with nori, the edible seaweed sheets which form the basis of most sushi.

In those early days most of what I order was cooked sushi like eel or shrimp.
But the thrill of sushi is when you start diving into the deep end and try the raw fish varieties.
Once you cross this threshold the most important aspect is trusting your sense of taste and smell and finding a restaurant you can trust to always serve the freshest cuts of fish possible.

In Hinesville I often trek to Kyoto, Sushi House 2, on Highway 84, when in pursuit of calming my sushi craving. As the name implies there was a Sushi House 1 that was located on Gen. Screven Way. But that location closed and has since reopened as Teriyaki Bowl. They serve sushi too but I have yet to visit. Will keep you posted.
Kyoto epitomizes the old school sushi and hibachi diners I’ve grown accustomed too. Their freshness, selection and flavors is what keeps them number one on my list of local places to go. (My absolute favorite sushi place is the Dragonfly in Orlando, Fla.)

If you’ve never tried raw sushi, you should. You can either order sushi rolls or sushi nigiri. The first are exactly what it sounds like. The raw fish is rolled with rice and the nori sheet and cut into bite size pieces. The nori can either be on the outside or the roll is done in reverse with the rice being on the outside and the fish and seaweed in the middle.

Nigiri is when they served a slice of raw fish nestled on a small clump of pressed rice. Sometimes a sliver of seaweed is used to hold the fish in place.
If you feel like venturing into sushi and you are a novice start out with the pieces that are the most palatable and therefore most popular. Pieces like tuna, salmon and Hamachi (yellow tail or some type of snapper) have the smoothest texture. They breakdown easy when chewed and don’t have a hard texture can be a turn off to some. The taste and texture are subtle and pleasant. I suggest you try it with and without dunking it into soy sauce or added wasabi at first.

Hint: While you are eating raw fish, fresh sushi should not have a strong fishy taste or odor. If it does, it’s not fresh and that my friends can spell trouble later on.

Once I got the taste for the easy stuff I started venturing into the more exotic. Octopus is definitely a refined and acquired taste as it can be quite chewy, same with conch.

Kyoto has a large variety of rolls and sushi dishes to choose from. They also have an amazing appetizer called the spicy seafood salad. It is sliced octopus, fish, shrimp and crabmeat mixed in a spicy mayonnaise and covered with roasted panko bread crumbs.

It was delicious and unique.

My favorite staple when at a Japanese restaurant is a dish called shumai. It is a steamed dumpling that is either stuffed with shrimp or pork. Another classic favorite is a pile of seaweed salad. I am happy to say that Kyoto has both.
In fact the hardest thing about Kyoto is trying to avoid the temptation of ordering too much.

Ha. Who am I kidding!! After all it’s me we are talking out. One of each please and thank you.

Oh, and I’ve also found my perfect combination of soy sauce with wasabi mixed in. Enough to feel the heat, clear the sinuses but still taste the food. Go out and an experiment, you may never know if you like it or not unless you try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Patch Murder: Crowder up for parole review

Crowder’s file up for parole review Long County case became infamously known as Tomato Patch Murders Patty Leon After serving 14 years of a life sentence Billy Crowder has become eligible and is currently under review by the Georgia Department of Pardon and Paroles Board. Crowder garnered unwanted notoriety during his murder trial held in the summer of 1998 in Long County Superior Court. He, his family and his friend Jason Jordan stood accused of a heinous crime against his grandfather, Thurman Martin. The trial and subsequent series of events placed the small community of Ludowici on the map as events unfolded on the local news and later became a national sensation when a documentary about the family, murder and trial aired on A&E, Court TV and even 20/20. The story involved the alleged abuse of an entire family, a murder and a cover-up; all culminating to Crowder’s verdict and what even some of the jurors called a miscarriage of justice in the sentencing. Crow

Haunted locations of Liberty County, Ga.

The Frame Gallery on South Main Street The Haunting The former owner of the Frame Gallery store reported hearing noises and footsteps emanating from the second floor. Store merchandise was reportedly being moved around or placed, teetering, on the edge of display tables. A candle holder was thrown across the room, former employees saw apparitions and the activity was describes as being mischievous more so than malicious. The activities increased as the Christmas Holidays approached. This building was investigated by a paranormal group that picked up children’s voices on digital recorders as well as other unexplained voices. The investigators detected the odor of camphor in a certain room on the second floor and captured a few Orbs on camera. The History The building where the Frame Gallery was located was owned by Peyton Way and housed a drug store on the first floor and the first Hospital in Liberty County on the second. Dr. T. W. Welborn (1887-1962), who was a physician

Stories about Florida Man part 1

  There is always something funny or unusual coming out of my home state of Florida. Just the other day, a “Florida Man,” washed ashore in Flagler County after he encountered some problems while trying to, “run to the Northern US or Bermuda,” on what appeared to be a giant floating hamster wheel. The man, Reza Baluci, said he was raising money to help the homeless, and raise funds for police and fire departments and the Coast Guard. Turns out that guy has his own You Tube Page and website: https://www.runwithreza.org/ It’s a great website to visit when you want to start going down a Florida Man rabbit hole. Seems to me this guy has done more for his fellow humans, with his feet firmly panted here on Earth or in the water, than billionaire Jezz Bezos has done.  But seriously there have been some truly weird headline throughout the years, some too funny to be believable, others too horrifying, yet true. One of the first headlines I can recall was back in 2012: Florida Man chews off anoth