Skip to main content

The time I was the ‘Catch’ of the day

During a recent grocery store spree I came across a seafood item that quickly brought back a delightful yet painful memory.
I have many fond childhood memories of going out fishing with my dad.

There was one fishing spot we frequented often – Card Sound Road Bridge near Homestead, Fla. This road is only one of two thoroughfares that connects the mainland to the Florida Keys, the other being U.S. 1.
When it was first constructed Card Sound Road had a wooden drawbridge. It connects northern section of the Florida Keys to the mainland and is in the middle of Biscayne National park and bay.

The original drawbridge was destroyed by fire in the mid-1940s. For several years the road was closed. In 1969 construction was completed on a new high-span bridge and the road re-opened. The older section of the bridge, directly under the new span, was set up as a catwalk for the public to fish from.
There were many times my dad, uncle and I would head out to go night fishing there. It was well lit and pretty packed with other anglers, especially on weekends. My dad and uncle lugged out all the gear and find a spot. They would prep their fancy fishing poles bait the hooks and cast their lines. I was too young to use any of the fancy rods.
Dad always brought out the Cuban Yo-Yo hand reel for me. (Not sure what that is? Google it, they even have fancy ones now). I would sit on a five-gallon bucket that had a cushion placed on top. Dad would cast out my line and hand me the yoyo. If I felt a nibble or something, I was supposed to call out for him and he would show me what to do next.

Alas, I had yet to catch a fish.

This evening my dad brought a second yoyo to teach my uncle how to cast the line which required some technique. I turned around to watch them.
My dad was a pro at it. During one of his demos he twirled the line above his head. The hook and sinker swinging round and round in a blur. I watched in awe and moved in a little closer to see….a little too close.

OUCH! (I was just a child otherwise it would have been a litany of cuss words right here.)

The fishing hook went through the fleshy part of my hand between the thumb and index finger (scientifically called the Thenar Space…who knew?). I let out a loud squeal and my dad froze (luckily for me or he would have tossed the line thereby pulling the hook). Every angler looked our way (some mad that I was making too much noise…others wondering if my dad was trying to use me as shark bait).

Quick to quiet his squealing daughter and heal the hurt, dad rushed over with his fishing tool cut the barbed hook and pulled it out. He ran to his tackle box, got hydrogen peroxide, some aspirin, a soda from the cooler and band aids…and made it “all well,” meaning please don’t tell mom this happened.
I whimpered, sipped on my soda, looked down at my hand and whimpered again. I looked up at my dad, batted my watery eyes and looked at his fishing rod.

I HAD HIM HOOK, LINE AND SINKER!

That night I got to use the big rod. Learned to cast the line out myself AND caught my first fish EVER. It was the ONLY fish caught that night, an eight pound Florida pompano.
The next morning dad showed mom the fish I caught (leaving out the other details, of course). Mom was so thrilled she didn’t ask what happened to my hand (which was now slightly swollen and bruised…but I’m willing to bet she didn’t ask because she knew she wouldn’t like the answer).
That night we had baked pompano with plantains and rice. Mom made it with some form of citrus sauce drizzled on top.
Sadly the fishing catwalk at Card Sound Road is no longer there after years of hurricanes and neglect.

Finding the pompano at the grocery store brought that memory back in a flash. I bought the filets and headed home to re-create the dish minus the hand injury (or so I thought).
I started the rice and sliced the plantains to make fried plantains (tostones). I lightly salt and peppered the fish, drizzled it with olive oil, placed in a pan and added just a little water. I baked it at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

For the sauce I melted 1 tablespoon of butter and added a little flour to make a roux. Once the roux thickened slightly, I added 2 cups of white wine, 1 tablespoon of butter, the juice of 1 orange and lemon zest. I stirred, set to medium-low and let the flavors blend and simmer.

On a serving dish I placed the rice down. Added the baked pompano on top and began to pour the sauce over both. The pan was heavy and without thinking I grabbed it with my other hand for support – burning two of my fingers!

Holy poop…frickity frack…son of a gun….OUCH….WOW...OK memory completely recreated.


After a few minutes of cussing I got back to business plating my tostones and sat down with a friend to give it a try.

It wasn’t exactly my mom’s but it was darn near close and DELICIOUS.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomato Patch Murder: Crowder up for parole review

Crowder’s file up for parole review Long County case became infamously known as Tomato Patch Murders Patty Leon After serving 14 years of a life sentence Billy Crowder has become eligible and is currently under review by the Georgia Department of Pardon and Paroles Board. Crowder garnered unwanted notoriety during his murder trial held in the summer of 1998 in Long County Superior Court. He, his family and his friend Jason Jordan stood accused of a heinous crime against his grandfather, Thurman Martin. The trial and subsequent series of events placed the small community of Ludowici on the map as events unfolded on the local news and later became a national sensation when a documentary about the family, murder and trial aired on A&E, Court TV and even 20/20. The story involved the alleged abuse of an entire family, a murder and a cover-up; all culminating to Crowder’s verdict and what even some of the jurors called a miscarriage of justice in the sentencing. Crow

Haunted locations of Liberty County, Ga.

The Frame Gallery on South Main Street The Haunting The former owner of the Frame Gallery store reported hearing noises and footsteps emanating from the second floor. Store merchandise was reportedly being moved around or placed, teetering, on the edge of display tables. A candle holder was thrown across the room, former employees saw apparitions and the activity was describes as being mischievous more so than malicious. The activities increased as the Christmas Holidays approached. This building was investigated by a paranormal group that picked up children’s voices on digital recorders as well as other unexplained voices. The investigators detected the odor of camphor in a certain room on the second floor and captured a few Orbs on camera. The History The building where the Frame Gallery was located was owned by Peyton Way and housed a drug store on the first floor and the first Hospital in Liberty County on the second. Dr. T. W. Welborn (1887-1962), who was a physician

Stories about Florida Man part 1

  There is always something funny or unusual coming out of my home state of Florida. Just the other day, a “Florida Man,” washed ashore in Flagler County after he encountered some problems while trying to, “run to the Northern US or Bermuda,” on what appeared to be a giant floating hamster wheel. The man, Reza Baluci, said he was raising money to help the homeless, and raise funds for police and fire departments and the Coast Guard. Turns out that guy has his own You Tube Page and website: https://www.runwithreza.org/ It’s a great website to visit when you want to start going down a Florida Man rabbit hole. Seems to me this guy has done more for his fellow humans, with his feet firmly panted here on Earth or in the water, than billionaire Jezz Bezos has done.  But seriously there have been some truly weird headline throughout the years, some too funny to be believable, others too horrifying, yet true. One of the first headlines I can recall was back in 2012: Florida Man chews off anoth